Robert V. Ling, CPA, CFA, ASA, ABV
Senior Managing Director | Houston
Robert Ling is a senior managing director in HSSK’s Houston office, where he specializes in providing valuation consulting services. Robert has participated in over 1,000 valuation engagements during the past 30 years, spanning a variety of U.S. and international engagements for the purposes of mergers and acquisitions, financial and tax reporting, dispute resolution, bankruptcies, recapitalizations and reorganizations. He recently retired after a 12-year career with KPMG, where he served as the partner-in-charge of the Houston valuation practice and as the national leader for valuation services to the energy sector.
Mr. Ling has valued the following securities: Publicly-traded and closely held common stock (on both a controlling and minority level), preferred stock, stock options and warrants, partnership and joint venture interests and debt instruments. He has also provided valuations of inventory, receivables and loan portfolios.
His international experience includes over 100 valuations conducted in Central and Eastern Europe, Mexico, South America, Russia, Asia, Africa, Iceland and the Middle East.
He has deep experience in the energy industry, including valuations of companies or assets in the following sectors: Exploration and production, offshore and onshore drilling, gathering and distribution, onshore and offshore service companies, refining, petrochemicals, biofuels, marine vessels (transportation, construction and supply), retail gasoline, propane distribution and power generation. Mr. Ling has also done extensive work with manufacturers of energy equipment such as: drill pipe, collars, horizontal drilling kits and offshore rigs.
Prior to his consulting career, he served in several accounting (controller) and financial roles (VP Finance, CFO, treasurer) for both private and publicly-traded energy companies.
Mr. Ling has provided expert witness testimony related to a variety of valuation issues, including testimony to the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding the fair value of energy assets for financial reporting purposes.
- MBA degree in finance, University of North Texas
- BBA degree in finance, University of North Texas
- Accreditations & Licenses
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant, Texas
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- Accredited Senior Appraiser, American Society of Appraisers
- Accredited in Business Valuation, AICPA
- Professional Affiliations & Activities
- CFA Institute
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas State Society of CPAs
- American Society of Appraisers
- Past committee member, International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC), extractive industries project
- Past President and Vice-President of the American Society of Appraisers, Dallas chapter
- Past faculty, Center for Financial Engineering and Development
This is not a CPA firm.