Houston, Texas 77024
David S. Butler Jr., ASA-BV, CPA
Manager | Houston
David Butler is a Manager in the Business Valuation practice. His areas of experience include valuing businesses, intangible assets and equity ownership in connection with purchase price allocations, impairment testing, buy-sell agreements, employee stock ownership plans, exit planning, fairness opinions, federal tax litigation, gift and estate tax valuations, C-to-S conversions, reasonable compensation studies, litigation, marital dissolution, and shareholder/partner disputes. He has performed fair value engagements for both privately held businesses and SEC registrants.
Mr. Butler has experience in diverse industries including architecture & engineering, commercial real estate, distribution, energy, financial brokerage, diversified manufacturing, trucking, retail, software development, and supermarkets. He has valued non-operating entities (partnerships, FLPs, complex GRATS and other estate planning vehicles) with a variety of assets including working oil and gas interests, undivided real estate interests, promissory notes, commercial and rental real estate, complex distribution tranches, farmland/ranches and undeveloped land.
Mr. Butler has experience valuing intangible assets including contingent consideration, assembled workforce, tradenames, patents, software, deferred revenue, TV and radio broadcast contracts, natural gas contracts, non-compete agreements, favorable/unfavorable leases, franchise rights, advertising/sponsorship contracts, naming rights, concessions agreements, season ticketholders, stadium suites, and customer relationships.
Mr. Butler's energy-related valuations include oil and gas (upstream / E&P, midstream including FERC-regulated pipelines, downstream blending and marketing), oilfield services (drilling contractor services, drilling rigs and rig equipment, drilling fluids and proppants, pressure-pumping services, well maintenance equipment and services, offshore engineering, OCTG/pipe inspection, well completion services) and retail energy distribution (electricity and natural gas).
- Master of Accountancy, University of Nebraska-Omaha, 2002
- University of Nebraska-Omaha, College of Business Administration, Outstanding Graduate Student in Accounting Award, 2001
- MBA, Marketing, Vanderbilt University, May 1988
- BA Cum Laude, with Honors, Economics and Political Science, Millsaps College, May 1986
- Accreditations & Licenses
- Accredited Senior Appraiser of the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) – Business Valuation
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – State of Nebraska
- Professional Affiliations & Activities
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- Chairman, Houston ASA Energy Valuation Conference Committee, 2014-2015
- Texas Society of CPAs
- Houston CPA Society - Vice-Chairman, Energy Committee
- Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "An Overview of the Business Valuation Process", Houston CPA Society – Houston, Texas
- "Case Studies in Oil and Gas Valuation," Petroleum Accountants' Society of Houston - Houston, Texas
- "Using the §1.704-3 and §1.1245(e) Regulations to Allocate Gain Arising from the Sale of §1245 Property by a Partnership", Master's Thesis, University of Nebraska-Omaha
This is not a CPA firm.