Houston, Texas 77024
J. David Smith, ASA, CFA
Principal | Houston
David Smith is an Owner with HSSK. He has over twenty years of financial consulting and financial services experience including fifteen years in the appraisal of businesses, business interests, and intangible assets for corporate mergers and acquisitions, financial reporting, corporate tax, recapitalization, estate and gift tax, estate planning, employee stock ownership plan and litigation purposes.
David has a Bachelor of Business Administration from Texas A&M University and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Houston, Clear Lake. He earned the Accredited Senior Appraiser designation in Business Valuation and Intangible Asset Valuation from the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) and is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charter holder. David is a past member of the Business Valuation Committee of the ASA, a Past President of the Houston Chapter of the ASA and is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the Houston Estate and Financial Forum and Houston Business & Estate Planning Council. Prior to joining Hill Schwartz Spilker Keller, he held positions with Bank One's Private Client Services group, Vaughan Nelson Scarborough & McCullough, ComstockCo. and Howard Frazier Barker Elliott.
- M.B.A., University of Houston, Clear Lake
- B.B.A. Finance, Texas A & M University
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA), Business Valuation and Intangible Asset Valuation
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Professional Affiliations & Activities
- American Society of Appraisers, Business Valuation Committee, 2011 to 2014
- American Society of Appraisers – Houston Chapter, President, 2008 to 2009, Board Member, 2005 -2010, 2014-present
- CFA Institute / CFA Society of Houston
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Houston Estate and Financial Forum
- Houston Business and Estate Planning Council
- Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Business Valuation Methods, Process and Concepts," Houston Bar Association, Houston, Texas
- "Business Transition Planning – What's Your Business Worth?" Texas Association of Independent Pharmacy Owners, Houston, Texas
- "Business & Intangible Asset Valuation," 22nd Annual Spring Accounting Expo - Houston CPA Society, Houston, Texas
- "Emerging Opportunities and Challenges for Medical Practices in 2011," Mass Mutual, Houston, Texas
- "Maximizing the Value of Your Business," Houston West Chamber of Commerce, Houston, Texas
- "Valuation Process and Purposes"
- Principal Financial Group, Houston, Texas
- Society of Financial Services Professionals, Houston, Texas
- Northwestern Mutual, Houston, Texas
- Gainer Donnelly & Desroches, Houston, Texas
- Houston Bar Association, Houston Texas
- "Best Practices & Current Issues – SFAS 141 & SFAS 142," KBA Group LLP, Dallas, Texas
- "What is Your Business Worth?" Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce, Houston, Texas
This is not a CPA firm.